Monday, August 20, 2012

The trouble finding a new look.

It occurred to me recently that I only wear my work attire. And after coming to this realization, I still have gone to hang out with friends on a few occasions just in my work clothes. But soon I’ll be starting rehearsals for my shiny new job, and I’ll probably get to wear my own clothes again. The trouble is, I really don’t have any.
Okay, that’s not true. I have more t-shirts than I’ll ever need. But still! I have somehow manage to ruin every pair of jeans I own. I made an attempt to patch a few up, but I am not handy with sewing at all. So the plan to mend them pretty much failed. But lucky me, I’ll have some money coming in soon thanks to my shiny new job. So, eventually, I’ll be able to go out and by some new jeans. And shoes.  And everything. I’ve been meaning to update my wardrobe for the longest time. And it seems like my preferred method of self-improvement is the phoenix approach. Meaning, I waited until my wardrobe breaks down so that I can build it back up again. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes. In cool new threads. So I gotta figure out a new look for myself, and then go find the pieces for it, and then wear them. Trouble is, I have no idea what look to go for.
I think a good place to start would be with my hair. Figure out a haircut that looks good on me, fits my personality, call it “the Kevin Allen”, and wear it all the time. My stylist pointed out to me that for the last year I’d only get my hair cut or styled because I had to look like fictional animated characters. Oh, and one time to look like a character I played. But still, each time I got my hair cut was because I was playing some character! I think it’s about time I got my haircut for me! Trouble is, I’m not allowed.
Cuz of that shiny new job as a stage actor, I can’t get a haircut until the director says I can. And I’m sure if I do I’ll only get to in order to look whichever characters I’m playing. So forget the hair! I’ll just get a cool new hat with my cool new clothes! Whatever they are. Back to square one… in need of a new wardrobe and not knowing where to start. I could go back to my favorite thrift (or “vintage”, since I live in LA) stores and see what I like. … Trouble is… I rarely find anything at thrift stores that actually fits me.
I’m probably not going to find anything that actually fits my long, narrow, awkward build. Part of me wanting a new look is cuz I’ve outgrown drooping pants that are too short for me and tucking back the extra room in my dress shirts. I found one shirt a while back that fit me perfectly and I love it, but I don’t expect to find many like it again. I mean, I only found it cuz I was looking for a costume piece for a specific fictional animated character. Wait a minute… That’s it!! I’ll just dress like the characters I like to dress as! Part of why I like looking like them is cuz I like their look! And their look works for them. It could work for me. This could work!
Okay then. My new look will be a blend of Spike Speigel, Flynn Rider, and Marshall Lee the Vampire King.

No comments:

Post a Comment